Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Shaw Cross Sharks ARLFC


Last minute heartbreak for Shaw Cross

1 year ago By Ben McKenna

Shaw Cross Sharks 16-22 Milford Marlins

Shaw Cross Sharks suffered their third defeat off the season in agonising fashion as they conceded a last minute try at home to Milford Marlins.

Milford ran the length of the field in the dying seconds and scored underneath the posts to snatch all three points and condemn Shaw Cross to their third defeat of the season.

Head coach Brett Turner was bitterly disappointed with his side’s display and felt that his players did not play smart enough.

“We were terrible, they played five drives and a kick and we shouldn’t be struggling against a team like that,” said Turner.

“We tried to play them up the middle, we scored our tries out wide and we tried to play them up the guts, we need to be smarter.”

Milford opened the scoring as Mark Judge raced onto a high kick and cruised over the line to put his side ahead.

Sharks replied through Joe Halloran, the young winger intercepted the ball five metres from the Shaw Cross line and burst down the length of the field to score, Flowers added the two from the touchline.

The visitors scored right on the stroke of half time as Zac Snelgrove found a gap before spinning out of the tackle to help Milford regain the lead.

Shaw Cross would put themselves ahead with two unconverted tries, Nathan Wright scored in the corner after the ball was fed out wide and the winger finished superbly in the corner.

The Sharks scored in the right corner again this time centre Ben Spaven received the ball before powering over the line to score.

Milford regained the lead as they scored in the right corner, a clever step allowed the Marlins attacker to get free and touch down, the kick was unsuccessful leaving only two points between the sides.

Sharks were awarded a penalty in front of the posts and Flowers added the two points to draw the scores level with five minutes to play.

Shaw Cross were left incensed soon after the kick off after Paul March’s grubber kick on the last looked to have been knocked on 10 metres from the Milford line. However the referee deemed the ball to have gone backwards to the frustration of the Sharks’ bench.

Seconds later Milford broke the Sharks line and went under the posts to snatch the win with the last action of the game.

Updated 08:53 - 2 Apr 2017 by Ben McKenna

Where next?

Sharks suffer defeat at home to Normanton Shaw Cross 30-40 Normanton Knights
Danny Flowers: “Things had been coming.” Sharks captain reflects on first win as the side prepare for Milford Marlins


Loading comments

Sat 2 Jun
Open Age Squad Lock Lane
League 14:30
Sat 9 Jun
Open Age Squad Pilkington Recs
League 14:30

News sponsors


Club sponsors