Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Shaw Cross Sharks ARLFC


Sharks narrowly beaten for second week running

1 year ago By Ben McKenna

Shaw Cross Sharks 6-8 Hunslet Club Parkside

Shaw Cross Sharks were defeated by a two point margin for a second successive week in the NCL Division 1.

Two unconverted tries proved enough for visitors Hunslet Club Parkside to leave with the two points in a closely fought game.

Head coach Brett Turner was extremely proud of his team and believes his side were unlucky to not get something from the game.

"We gave it a really good dig, I am proud of the boys," said Turner.

"They are hot favourites for the league and they were meant to come here and walk all over us but we put in a really spirited performance and our defence was fantastic.

"Our attack was a little bit lacking but we have a lot of new players in the team so things like that will take a little bit of time to click, you can always improve a team that can defend.

"Last week I was disappointed because we really should have won but Hunslet are a very very good team and we have contained them, we could've snatched a draw at the end but I'm very happy with the performance."

Hunslet opened the scoring with just over ten minutes played, a swift passing move to the left wing gave winger Danny Harrison the space to get over the line.

Shaw Cross had a long period of sustained pressure in the middle of the half but were unable to convert that pressure into points.

The teams went in with only four points between them at half time after strong defensive displays from both sides.

Hunslet Club were put on a team warning five minutes into the first half after Joe Halloran was caught with a high tackle.

The visitors added their second score on 51 minutes, another quick set of hands from Hunslet put Omar Alwari over in the right corner.

Both sides started to build their error count as play was restricted to the middle of the field, Mark Stubley was sent to the bin for dissent after disputing a forward pass.

Hunslet were put on another team warning with ten minutes remaining and a spirited display from the Sharks nearly saw them snatch a draw.

Sam Ottewell scored for Shaw Cross as he raced onto a clever kick from Danny Flowers over the Hunslet line to touch down between the posts.

Stubley returned to the field for Hunslet but the visitors were soon back down to 12 men as Danny Harrison was sin-binned for stealing the ball in the tackle.

The Sharks lost the ball soon after but were gifted back possession as Hunslet knocked on, the hosts then won a penalty after Hunslet were penalised for holding down in the tackle.

Flowers opted to kick for goal but the angle proved too difficult as the ball went just wide of the posts.

The full time whistle went seconds later as the visitors held on for the victory.

Shaw Cross will travel to St Helens next week as they face newly promoted Blackbrook where Turner is targeting two points for his team.

Updated 09:13 - 19 Mar 2017 by Ben McKenna

Where next?

Fawkes: “We were well in the game and could easily have won it.” Assistant Coach Andrew Fawkes reflects on Underbank loss.


Loading comments

Sat 2 Jun
Open Age Squad Lock Lane
League 14:30
Sat 9 Jun
Open Age Squad Pilkington Recs
League 14:30

News sponsors


Club sponsors