Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Shaw Cross Sharks ARLFC


Spirited Sharks come up short.

1 year ago By Ben McKenna

Shaw Cross Sharks 26-32 Lock Lane

Shaw Cross Sharks were unable to overturn a 22 point half time deficit as they eventually lost 26-32 to Castleford Lock Lane at Leeds Road on Saturday afternoon.

The Sharks fought to within six points of their opponents with four tries in the last twenty minutes but it was not enough as the Sharks lost their fifth game of the season.

Head coach Brett Turner was bitterly disappointed with the defeat and felt that the first half performance was the worst his team has played all season.

“We were very poor, the second half doesn’t make up for our showing in the first half. I’m really disappointed, they are not one of the better teams we have played, the first half was the worst we have played all season,” said Turner.

“Next week if we can play with some freedom and confidence like we did in the second half then we can go and get a result at Featherstone, when we are under pressure we give away penalties and make silly decisions.”

Shaw Cross got off to the perfect start as they scored from the very first set, Owen Lumb kicked the ball to the right corner and Nathan Wright was first to the ball and raced to the corner to open the scoring.

Lock Lane got their first score of the game through centre Jordan Rice as the ball was moved to the left and Race barged over in the corner.

The visitors then took the lead as Craig Savage ghosted through the Sharks’ line and went over between the sticks.

Lock Lane scored their third try of the afternoon through Joe Wilcox, the ball was flung out to the left before being moved back inside to Wilcox who went over under the posts.

Moments later Sharks went further behind as Lock Lane barged over in the left corner, Wilcox scored Lock Lane’s fifth try of the half after a break down the middle.

It took 13 minutes for the first points of the second half and it was the away side who scored through full-back Lewis Price.

Greg Wilby thought he had reduced the deficit for Shaw Cross but his try was chalked off by the touch judge for a forward pass.

Moments later Sharks had scored their second try of the game as Sam Ottewell spotted a gap in the line and darted through to get the ball down.

Shaw Cross scored for a third time through Lumb, the stand-off burst toward the try line and proved too strong as he stretched his arm out to get the ball down.

Brandan French then put his name on the score-sheet as he was first to an Ottewell grubber kick, his try reduced the deficit to 12 points with ten minutes to play.

Sharks cut the gap to six points with five minutes to play as Tom Rodgers gathered the ball one handed and ran clear to score under the posts.

Despite pushing forward for the final five minutes the hosts were unable to find their way over the line to rescue a point.

Updated 10:45 - 7 May 2017 by Ben McKenna

Where next?

Turner names squad for Featherstone trip March returns from injury and Talbot makes first appearance of the season.
Turner feeling positive ahead of Lock Lane clash Shark's head coach previews tomorrow's game


Loading comments

Sat 2 Jun
Open Age Squad Lock Lane
League 14:30
Sat 9 Jun
Open Age Squad Pilkington Recs
League 14:30

News sponsors


Club sponsors